Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lemon Dijon Pasta Salad

Last month, a friend graduated with his PhD in economics. For the celebration picnic, I brought pasta salad. Now, to be honest, for most of my previous pasta salad attempts I've simply used Italian dressing and store-bought pasta salad seasoning. However, because this was a special occasion, and because I had plenty of lead time, I decided to put in a bit more effort (although not as much as I'd expected!), and made a pasta salad completely from scratch. I found a great resource to do this at, with their 5 steps to perfect pasta salad.

They offer general guidelines that you can follow to create a nearly infinite range of pasta salads. In order to prevent duplicating their method, I simply refer you to their page above, and list the ingredients I used for my creation below. It was, by far, the best pasta salad I've ever made, and was extremely easy as well.

Lemon Dijon Pasta Salad (for instruction, go here)

  • 1-lb box, rotini
  • 1-lb cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/3-cup pine nuts, roasted
  • 3/4-red, yellow, and/or orange bell pepper, diced
  • 2-green onions, cleaned and sliced
  • 8-12 basil leaves, sliced
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more to garnish
For the dressing, I followed this recipe, using lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Instead of using a wisk, I used our blender to mix it all up.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Sounds yummy! I like the idea of the dijon dressing and pine nuts. Much better than the mayonnaisey store-bought versions.