Since I was only cooking for myself, the amounts below would need to be adjusted to suit most situations. This is probably enough to satisfy two adults (I had leftovers with a little extra after that.
Quick Beef Stew
1/2 lb beef sirloin, cubed
1-clove garlic, minced
4-5 mushrooms, sliced (I did relatively thick slices)
1/2 red onion, cut into large cubes
2-slices bacon, cubed
broth (I used chicken)
1-2 tbsp. flour
salt, pepper, & "other spices" to taste
- Saute bacon over medium heat until cooked; remove bacon, keep bacon grease
- Raise heat to medium high and brown beef (in the bacon fat)
- Add garlic, mushroom, and onions. Saute until "sweaty"
- Add flour, stirring regularly to create a paste (less than 1-minute)
- Add red wine (1/2+ cup ), and stir, until a thick gravy forms
- Add back bacon pieces; add salt and pepper and other spices (I used herbes de provence this time, but have also used just rosemary and thyme, and to be honest, it would probably be fine with just the salt and pepper).
- Add broth until slightly thinner than your desired consistency
- Simmer, covered, for about 20-minutes
- Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes