Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wheat bread with millet

As I said in my last post, a good stew is so much better with a hearty bread. I've been cooking breads from the Bread Bible for about two years, and have started to experiment with variations of my own (I have a hard time keeping to recipes for very long). Overall, this bread was a moderate success. I made a much larger bread than I'd expected, and because I didn't account for this, I didn't put in enough millet to really have it stand out (it is easy to add too much, so I erred on the light side).


and a closeup...

it sure does look good...

Wheat bread with millet
Ingredients:
1-1/2 cup warm water
2 tbsp. yeast
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups unbleached, whole purpose flour (very approximate)
2 tbsp. wheat gluten
2 tbsp. millet (not enough)
1 tbsp. butter, melted
3 tbsp. dry milk
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. salt (I forgot to add this!!!)

Directions:
  • Proof yeast in warm water with honey and a dusting of flour
  • Add millet, butter, dry milk, salt, wheat fluten, whole wheat flour, and 1 cup regular flour and mix
  • Add remaining flour while stirring, until sticky dough forms
  • Knead dough, adding flour as needed to prevent from sticking to your work surface (I used silicon baking mat because it's easy to clean and does not move around while kneading)
  • Let dough rise (covered with loose plastic wrap) in a greased bowl for 1-1/2 hours (give or take)
  • Deflate dough and work into desired loaf shape
  • At this stage, it is good to fold the dough onto itself several times to create an internal structure that will support the loaf
  • Place loaf onto pizza peel sprinkled with corn meal, cover loosely with plastic wrap
  • Let dough rise another 30-60 minutes
  • Slash surface of dough, brush surface with egg glaze (1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp. water)
  • Transfer onto a baking stone in a preheated 450° oven, reduce heat to 400°
  • Bake until done, 30-40 minutes (loaf will south hollow when tapped)
  • Let loaf cool (at least slightly :) ) and serve

No comments: